Age: 8 years
Breed: Chihuahua – Long Coat
Council Registered: Yes – Christchurch City Council
NZCAR Database Registered: Yes.
DogsNZ (NZKC) Registered: Unknown
Cat Friendly: Unknown
Child Friendly: Unknown
Human Sociable: Yes
Dog Sociable: Yes
Angel comes from the same home as another of our Trust dogs, Shaya. Both dogs were primarily cared for by an older gentleman until he passed away recently. Angel and Shaya remained living with his Wife until she had to enter Hospice care on 8 March 2019. They were surrendered her to our Rescue so that they could find a new forever home and companion.
Angel is a very sweet and very affectionate little dog, who quickly warms up to you and enjoys pats. Angel will paw at you for attention and she LOVES to lick so she definitely needs an owner who doesn’t mind her expressing her happiness and love in such a manner! She can become a little wary of strangers initially and overwhelmed in unfamiliar places.
Angel is fairly low-energy, she does love a walk and to happily toddle around the house after her owner. Angel does bark when people arrive or she hears a noise and thinks someone is approaching the house. Angel is crate trained at the moment she is sleeping in her crate and enjoys it as being "her" area. Angel is toilet-trained but does need reminding with her toilet training when it is cold or she isn't familiar with her house surroundings, easily managed by taking her outside at regular intervals. Angel does sometimes playfully nip if someone is coming into the house or leaving, this is to be discouraged. For this reason, we do not recommend her as a family pet. More suited to an older couple who just want a loving companion.
Angel would be best suited to being homed with her sibling, Shaya, or as an only dog provided she has during the day human company. Angel can become possessive of people - this is a common Chihuahua trait that needs to be discouraged. Angel can be a bit of a "mean girl" with a tendency to "bully" dogs less confident then herself.Angel also loves her crate and can be possessive of it, so the new owner will need to keep on top of such behaviors if they have other dogs. Angel has lived with one other Chihuahua previously but as noted above, any current dogs need to be confident dogs. Angel will make a wonderful companion for someone who has the time to put into her and is able to commit to her for the duration of her life.
We are not sure as to how Angel would be with young children or around cats. Children over 10 years should be fine, she can be fairly dominant so younger children would not be suitable.
Angel is de-sexed, micro-chipped and registered on NZCAR and vaccinated up to date.
Angel appears to have a luxating patella - an issue common in Chihuahuas, it does not bother her at present and is not a high enough grade to require surgical intervention. Any Adopter would need to be aware of the patella and ensure it is checked at her regular check-ups.
Angel has been on a diet as she requires some weight-loss. Her Adopter will need to be committed to continuing this.
- Part time workers, those who work from home or are retired would be a great match. Angel is used to being with an elderly couple who are home much of the time. Angel does OK being left alone for a couple of hours, but not full time working hours (6-8 per day would be far too long!).
- Must enjoy Chihuahua licks and a dog who is quite attentive to humans.
- Someone with older Chihuahuas would be fine, but Angel does not like young energetic puppies. She tends to prefer human company rather than other dogs. Angel can be a bit of a bully to weaker or submissive dogs, any existent dogs would need to be confident and strong dog.
- Fully fenced backyard, with no holes or gaps.
- Adopter who is knowledgeable in dog behavior and able to ensure her possessive streak remains in check.
- An adopter who could take on Angel and Shaya would be IDEAL. If unable to do so, someone in Canterbury who could stay in touch with Shaya's future adopter and organize for the two to see each other would be great. These two dogs have known one another for 8 years and are bonded. Angel is the more confident and independent of the two, Shaya has come out of his shell since being reunited with his sister. We are considering separating them as Angel is more advanced than Shaya at this stage and Shaya requires some health work before being re-homed.
$400.00 for Angel alone.
$300.00 for Shaya alone.
$600.00 for Angel and Shaya together.
Angel comes with:
Council tags, vet book, an ACANA/Orijen Adopter pack (which includes various goodies and the food she has been fed on).
If you are interested in applying to adopt Angel, please go to the below link, scroll down and fill out the form. We do not consider queries via Facebook or email without the form. See also the FAQ for more information and to answer any queries you may have. Full terms and conditions can be found under the "adoptions" page or FAQ