Arrived in NZCR care: 22 July 2021
DOB: 1 April 2019.
Breed: Chihuahua - Long Coat
Registered with NZCAR: TBC.
DogsNZ (NZKC): No
Council Registered: Yes - Christchurch City Council.
Cat Friendly: No
Child Friendly: 8 years and older.
Human Sociable: Yes.
Dog Sociable: Yes.
* TBC = "To be confirmed"
Since Archie’s owner received him 9 months ago, Archie has been plagued with extensive stomach issues, often vomiting multiple times in one day and as a result, struggling to keep weight on. When the owner received Archie, he was also missing patches of fur which could be a symptom.
Archie’s former owner loved and cared about Archie and consulted numerous vets to no avail. They have now decided that he needs more care and expertise than they are able to provide and financially, his medical needs are becoming far too expensive. We have agreed to take in little Archie, have him assessed by our vet who specializes in the breed and get to the bottom of his issues once and for all.
Archie is said to be a very sweet, affectionate, clever, and happy go lucky little dog.
Archie's former owner says:
- Archie is a great watch dog, but has the sweetest temperament with people.
- His former owner feels he might prefer women owners, but is getting used to men.
- If he goes and stands by the door (sometimes he will also give a bark) he is indicating he needs to be let out to toilet.
- Does not like the rain.
- Loves going for walks.
- Loves to sleep in bed with you.
- Loves to crawl onto your knee at evenings and be petted.
- Archie feels the cold.
- Does not like to be left on his own for too long.
We will update this profile further, as we get to know Archie better.
As noted above, since Archie’s owner received him 9 months ago, Archie has been plagued with extensive stomach issues, often vomiting multiple times in one day and as a result, struggling to keep weight on. Archie will be booked into our vet so we can get to the bottom of his stomach issues. This will begin with a change in diet. We may need to conduct bloods and/or an ultrasound on Archie to rule out any liver or stomach issues.
Archie will be flea and worm treated every 3 months while in trust care, to be continued by the Adopter.
Archie is already de-sexed and micro-chipped. we have registered him with the NZCAR and flea and wormed him.
Once settled, Archie will visit our vet to update his vaccines and receive his preliminary vet check. Archie will be adopted out de-sexed, vaccinated up to date, micro-chipped (with the chip registered with the NZ Companion Animal Register and the local Council) as all of our dogs are.
Help us to Help Archie!
We are committed to doing our best for cases like Archie. However, we will need you help to be able to fund the various tests and treatments in his future. If you can set up a small weekly automatic payment, or even a one-off donation, this would greatly assist our Rescue!
New Zealand Chihuahua Rescue is a New Zealand Registered Charity run completely by volunteers. Nobody is paid to participate in our Rescue and 100% of the profits go back into the dogs in our care and community dogs needing assistance. We receive no public funding or grants. Our entire income to assist these dogs is derived from kind donations, sponsorship and fundraising projects. We are always short of money and it impacts how many dogs we can assist as each dog that comes into care needs some form of medical and/or behavioral assistance!
If you could help by donating to Archie's cause, all donations, small or large, help us to help her! Please also contact us for a receipt and you can receive 33.33% of your donation back from the IRD.
Donations can be made via:
The New Zealand Chihuahua Rescue Westpac Trust Account:
By credit or debit card to our GiveALittle:
Archie has a long road ahead of him - but we will keep you all updated as to his progress. We are hoping that whatever is wrong with Archie can be cured, or at least "managed" and he can go on to live a happy new life. Unfortunately, stomach issues can be a vague symptom with a variety of causes so we anticipate it will take some time.
Keep checking this profile for updates if interested in Archie.
We will also get to know Archie during their time in foster care and update this profile accordingly, including the adopter requirements (below).
- Archie is available for adoption New Zealand wide, due to his happy demeanor. However, the Adopter will need to visit our adoptions page, view the out of town adoptions process and be willing to adhere to this. This includes traveling to Christchurch to meet him and his foster carer. No exceptions so please do not ask for any.
- Archie is an active dog, he needs an owner who would be able to walk him at least once per day.
- Archie cannot be homed with cats! We will not be accepting a home with cats for him. Please do not ask or query this as we have been very clear.
- Must have a fully-fenced property, with no holes or gaps.
- Archie has lived with children prior. But any children in the home must be 6-years or older and doggy knowledgeable. Please do not apply if you have children in the home under 6 years of age.
- Archie would suit a home with another dog of a similar (playful) energy.
- No full time workers or those out of the home for large periods of time.
* Please do not apply for Archie - we have not listed their FULL adopter requirements yet as we need time to get to know their personality and the type of owner required. If you are interested - Keep checking back here in time, for this profile to be updated!
PLEASE NOTE: Before applying for our dogs, please do read the above adopter requirements and ensure that you meet these. We are very clear about the homes we are seeking. We set the adopter requirements after consultation with the foster carers and consideration of the dogs, needs, welfare and personality. They are strict requirements - no exceptions. Please do not submit an application if you do not meet the above, we will simply respond to confirm the application is declined. Unfortunately, at times this has been the case and we have had to disappoint prospective adopters. This is why we are clear about our requirements prior and note them above.
Adoption Fee: $500.00 to be paid to the NZCR trust account no. 03-0823-0074502-000
PLEASE NOTE - RE: THE ADOPTION FEES AND TRIALS: Our adoption fees are determined by taking into account age of the dog, overall health and funds expended to date on that particular dog. The trust uses these adoption fee funds on: de-sexing surgery, micro-chip and NZCAR registration, vaccines, Council registration, flea and worm treatments, plus any other essentials dogs require such as specialist medications or food, blood-testing, orthopaedic surgeries etc. and any other dog disposables required for dogs in care. Please note: sorry we do not accept payment plans, as we need to be sure adopters are able to financially support dogs prior to adoption - sorry, no exceptions. Please note: the deposit needs to be made to the trust account prior to the changeover date of the dog going on trial. We do not accept cash payments on the date. The full100% of all adoption fees go towards the dogs in the care of the Trust.