Arrived in NZCR care: 17 August 2019
Age: 3 years old (born: 17/06/2016)
Breed: Chihuahua - Smooth Coat
Registered with NZCAR: Yes
DogsNZ (NZKC): No
Council Registered: Yes - Christchurch City Council (2019/2020 membership).
Cat Friendly: Yes
Child Friendly: Unknown
Human Sociable: Wary of humans.
Dog Sociable: With Support.
Bambi has come to NZCR from Napier after her private re-home did not work out. Bambi requires someone who does not work full time and so it was unfortunately not a perfect match for her former owners. They believe Bambi formerly lived in a garage and may have been a breeding bitch or "puppy farm" mum.
Bambi is a true rescue in every sense of the word. Bambi is unsure around people and very wary of strangers, she is timid around new dogs and not used to living life as a pet. She is much more comfortable outside or in the car - wide open spaces with less people and dogs.
Bambi's former owner says once she settles in she is very sweet, loves walks on a lead and being with people. Bambi is incredibly loving and her idea of a perfect day would be spent on the lap of her owner. She has a quiet nature and is not the type of dog to be playful with toys. She gets cold easily and seems to prefer being in warm jersey and not 'burrowed' in blankets. She loves any attention and once she trusts you, you have a friend for life. She will walk on a lead and is incredibly curious, but if she had a choice, she would prefer to be cuddled. Sometimes cowers and is anxious, without provocation. Will go toilet outside, but when it rains or is wet she will refuse to go outside. Not sure of her former history, as we have only owned her 4 weeks. "
Bambi's former owner states she is fine around other dogs, Chihuahuas, small animals, cats and children. This hasn't been confirmed as yet, we will assess her.
Bambi requires some assistance with her confidence and toilet-training. We have no timeline as to when we will begin searching for a forever home for Bambi - keep your eyes on our website which we keep up to date.
Bambi is de-sexed, micro-chipped and vaccinated up to date.
Bambi will be checked out by our vet prior to being available for adoption.
Bambi's former owner thinks she may suffer from luxating patellas (a common condition found in Chihuahuas), we will have our vet assess and grade her.
- To be re-homed in the Canterbury area. Bambi will require a lot of support integrating into an Adopters home, NZCR will provide full support in this area.
- No full time workers. Someone who is part time, works from home or is retired would be suitable. Bambi requires daytime company, this was one of the reasons she was re-homed.
- Rescue dog experience REQUIRED. Must strong dog knowledge and experience to ensure they are able to give Bambi the support she needs and not overwhelm her.
- No children in the home under 12 years. Bambi is not suitable for young kids and would be extremely terrified and overwhelmed.
- One other small breed, quiet or older dog would be fine. Bambi can feel overwhelmed and get nippy with larger dogs or dogs that are too invasive and curious about her. She likes to be left alone and not forced into playing or being social.
Further adopter requirements may be added in due course.
Adoption Fee: $400.00. Fee determined by taking into account age, health and funds expended to date. Please note: sorry we do not accept payment plans, as we need to be sure adopters are able to financially support dogs prior to adoption. The deposit needs to be made to the trust account prior to the dog going on trial. 100% of all adoption fees go towards the dogs in the care of the Trust.
If you are interested in applying to adopt Bambi once she becomes available - please go to the below link, scroll down and fill out the form. We do not consider queries via Facebook or email without the form. See also the FAQ for more information and to answer any queries you may have. Full terms and conditions can be found under the "adoptions" page or FAQ.