Arrived in NZCR care: 16 June 2021
Breed: Chihuahua x Yorkshire Terrier or "Yorkie" ("Chorkie")
Registered with NZCAR: Yes.
DogsNZ (NZKC): No - Crossbred.
Council Registered: Yes - Christchurch City Council.
Cat Friendly: Not tested.
Child Friendly: 8 years and older.
Human Sociable: Yes.
Dog Sociable: With support - as below.
* TBC = "To be confirmed"
Charlie was surrendered with Chiquita, due to the health and personal circumstances of their former owner. Both dogs are being fostered separately and to be homed separately, as Charlie has a tendency to dominate Chiquita.
Charlie is a very clever, sweet and affectionate little dog. He loves to go for a walk or a drive in the car and just "be" with his owner. He plays with toys and spends a lot of time perusing the garden.. Charlie loves human companionship and being around people, he will quite happily be your little shadow!
Charlie is said to know numerous commands such as "sit" and "sings" when you play music to him.
Charlie can be a bit timid and intimidated by other dogs if they are loud, boisterous or assertive, he needs to be introduced carefully. We think he would be happiest as a solo dog or with another dog of similar energy. As noted above, he dominated Chiquita, who is quite passive, so will need the "right" mix, if he is to be rehomed with an existing dog.
Charlie had his preliminary check with our vet on 19/06/2021. Charlie will need a dental in future, within the next 12-months, but at present his teeth are fine. Aside from some required weight-loss, Charlie is in great health as far as we can tell.
Charlie has begun to lose weight while in care with his foster carer, he is fed ACANA small breed kibbles. We ask that any Adopter will need to be committed to ongoing weight-loss (for his health) and keeping him on a quality diet.
Charlie will be flea and worm treated every 3 months while in trust care, to be continued by the Adopter.
Charlie will be adopted out de-sexed, vaccinated up to date, micro-chipped (with the chip registered with the NZ Companion Animal Register and the local Council) as all of our dogs are.
Help us to Help Charlie!
New Zealand Chihuahua Rescue is a New Zealand Registered Charity run completely by volunteers. Nobody is paid to participate in our Rescue and 100% of the profits go back into the dogs in our care and community dogs needing assistance. We receive no public funding or grants. Our entire income to assist these dogs is derived from kind donations, sponsorship and fundraising projects. We are always short of money and it impacts how many dogs we can assist as each dog that comes into care needs some form of medical and/or behavioural assistance!
If you could help by donating to Charlie cause, all donations, small or large, help us to help her! Please also contact us for a receipt and you can receive 33.33% of your donation back from the IRD.
Donations can be made via:
The New Zealand Chihuahua Rescue Westpac Trust Account:
By credit or debit card to our GiveALittle:
*** PLEASE NOTE: This dog is currently unavailable and we are no longer accepting applications for them. We have either selected their adopter or the dog has gone on trial with a prospective adoptive family. Please view the status' for each dog on the "dogs in our care page". We have several other dogs still looking for loving new homes! ***
- Charlie is available for adoption New Zealand wide, due to his happy demeanor. However, the Adopter will need to visit our adoptions page, view the out of town adoptions process and be willing to adhere to this. This includes traveling to Christchurch to meet Charlie and his foster carer. No exceptions so please do not ask for any.
- Charlie is used to spending a lot of time with his Owner and would not suit a full time worker. He needs an owner who is very part time, retired yet active, able to take him to a (quiet) work place with them, or permanently working from home. Please do not apply if you are a full time (out of home) worker or out of the house often.
- Full fencing is a must. Any adopter must have fully enclosed fencing with no holes or gaps.
- Children need to be over 6years of age and knowledgeable about dogs. Sorry, no young families.
- Charlie would be fine (and probably best off) as a solo dog. He is OK with other dogs in the home, but does enjoy receiving the majority of the attention from his owner. He can be wary of boisterous or loud dogs. It would need to be an ideal match if there were existing dogs in the home.
- As noted above, Charlie has begun to lose weight while in care with his foster carer, as recommended by the Vet. At present, he is fed ACANA small breed kibbles. We ask that any Adopter will need to be committed to his ongoing weight-loss (for his health) and keeping him on a quality diet.
PLEASE NOTE: Before applying for our dogs, please do read the above adopter requirements and ensure that you meet these. We are very clear about the homes we are seeking. We set the adopter requirements after consultation with the foster carers and consideration of the dogs, needs, welfare and personality. They are strict requirements - no exceptions. Please do not submit an application if you do not meet the above, we will simply respond to confirm the application is declined. Unfortunately, at times this has been the case and we have had to disappoint prospective adopters. This is why we are clear about our requirements prior and note them above.
Adoption Fee: $500.00 to be paid to the NZCR trust account no. 03-0823-0074502-000
PLEASE NOTE - RE: THE ADOPTION FEES AND TRIALS: Our adoption fees are determined by taking into account age of the dog, overall health and funds expended to date on that particular dog. The trust uses these adoption fee funds on: de-sexing surgery, micro-chip and NZCAR registration, vaccines, Council registration, flea and worm treatments, plus any other essentials dogs require such as specialist medications or food, blood-testing, orthopaedic surgeries etc. and any other dog disposables required for dogs in care. Please note: sorry we do not accept payment plans, as we need to be sure adopters are able to financially support dogs prior to adoption - sorry, no exceptions. Please note: the deposit needs to be made to the trust account prior to the changeover date of the dog going on trial. We do not accept cash payments on the date. The full100% of all adoption fees go towards the dogs in the care of the Trust.