Arrived in NZCR care: 10 July 2019
Age: 4-5 years old (approximately)
Breed: Chihuahua x Pom
Registered with NZCAR: Yes
DogsNZ (NZKC): No.
Council Registered: Yes - Christchurch City Council (2019/2020 membership).
Cat Friendly: Yes.
Child Friendly: Older children (10 years+)
Human Sociable: Yes, with support.
Dog Sociable: Yes
Duke and Chino came to NZCR together from the North Island. We have limited history on both boys, but understand they did not start out life together. Duke and Chino were surrendered due to private reasons relating to the original former owners life and personal circumstances. A kind helper picked both up and fostered them up North then assisted them in reaching our Trust.
We have made the decision, after over a month in care observing both boys to separate them. They each have very different personalities and Chino tends to pick on Duke as a result. They each also have very different aspects to "work on" and we would be best able to meet their needs by putting them with fosters who are able to work on them individually.
Duke is an absolute little cuddle bunny. He loves to be on his human and quite often places himself with his head near your neck or on your shoulder. Duke will quickly warm to you if approached with confidence (a silly, squeaky voice also helps).
Duke has a very "soft" personality and can be timid when unsure. Duke needs to develop some confidence and be introduced to new experiences. Duke doesn’t appear to have experienced much outside of home life and will need support in new situations. He doesn't get nasty or snappy, though. He simply clings to you and buries his head!
Duke often also whips out his “begging” party trick to win people over.... It's adorable!
Duke was vet checked, flea and wormed on 10 July 2019. Heart sound and no dental required.
- To be re-homed in the Canterbury area or within the greater South Island. Please note: if you are outside of Canterbury our "out of town adoptions" policy applies - see the adoption page.
- Fenced in, Chihuahua-proof yard, with no holes or gaps.
- No full time workers. Someone who is part time, works from home or is retired would be suitable. Duke requires daytime company, as they have always had a human companion home during the day.
- Rescue dog experience would be an asset. Must have had a smaller breed dog (ideally a Chihuahua prior) and have strong dog knowledge and experience.Duke needs a confident and dog-knowledgeable owners.
- At this stage, the boys are to be adopted separately. If each adopter wanted to stay in contact and arrange play-dates for the boys once they are settled into their new home that would be an added bonus!
Further adopter requirements may be added in due course.
Adoption Fee: $500.00. Fee determined by taking into account age, health and funds expended to date. Please note: sorry we do not accept payment plans, as we need to be sure adopters are able to financially support dogs prior to adoption. The deposit needs to be made to the trust account prior to the dog going on trial. 100% of all adoption fees go towards the dogs in the care of the Trust.
If you are interested in applying to adopt Duke once he becomes available - please go to the below link, scroll down and fill out the form. We do not consider queries via Facebook or email without the form. See also the FAQ for more information and to answer any queries you may have. Full terms and conditions can be found under the "adoptions" page or FAQ.