Age: 6-7 months (Estimated DOB: December 2018)
Breed: Chihuahua (Long Coat)
Registered with NZCAR: Yes
DogsNZ (NZKC): No.
Council Registered: Yes - Christchurch City Council (2019/2020 membership).
Cat Friendly: Yes
Child Friendly: Yes
Human Sociable: Yes
Dog Sociable: Yes
Jazz was surrendered by a kind woman who rescued him. He was previously with a woman who was ill and unfortunately passed away. Following this, her animals were distributed and only Jazz remained in the house.
Although he has had a fair bit of change to contend with as of late, Jazz has taken it all in his stride. Jazz has a lovely temperament. He is sweet, cuddly and eager to learn. We think Jazz will settle in well to his forever home - he is fairly low energy, good with cats and dogs, social. Jazz is happy go lucky and seems to love everyone he meets.
Jazz does have a cheeky side (probably also due to his age) he has only recently learnt not to run off and hide when his name is called! His Adopter will need to keep up obedience training.
Jazz is great with his foster siblings (all chi's and chi crosses) and his foster cat.
Jazz is vaccinated up to date, micro-chipped (and registered with NZCAR), flea and wormed. On 7 July 2019 Jazz was desexed by the trust and had a dental with his retained baby teeth extracted also.
We have had Jazz checked by our vet - who confirms no issues with heart, patellas, etc. Jazz does have a small umbilical hernia which causes no pain or issues, it is simply cosmetic and could be removed in future if the adopter wishes to do so.
Due to the shape of his head and eyes, we suspect that Jazz may suffer from a minimal case of hydrocephalus. Our vet has scanned his brain and believes there may be some minor enlargement in the ventricles. As yet, Jazz presents with no signs and may continue his life the same way. We will never be able to tell for sure. Unfortunately this is simply a condition that plagues the Chihuahua breed. Any Adopter will need to be aware of this. Please research this condition prior to applying.
Jazz has an open fontenele / molero (ie. This is a hole in the skull that doesn't quite close over after birth - quite normal in many small breeds and humans). His Adopter will need to ensure he doesn't bump the head, particularly in that spot.
- A home in Christchurch or Marlborough where Jazz is located is preferred. For those outside of these areas you will need to confirm you have read and can commit to our “out of town” policy under the "adoptions" tab. This includes coming to Christchurch to meet Jaxx and the costs of his travel and a travel bond.
- No full time workers. Part-time would be fine if he had another dog playmate during the day.
- Sorry, no families with young children need apply. We would say kids 10+ would be fine, but due to his open fontenele he is not suitable for a family with younger children. Please do not apply if you have a young family - this requirement is set and we have had to disappoint a couple of people who have submitted applications, expecting we might forgo this condition.
- Must have a fully fenced yard, with no holes or gaps.
- Jazz is playful and would do well with another Chihuahua, or small breed dog in the house.
- Jazz's family need to be able to ensure his socialization is kept up and he would benefit from further dog training.
Other requirements may be added in time.
Adoption Fee: $500.00. Fee determined by taking into account age, health and funds expended to date. Please note: sorry we do not accept payment plans, as we need to be sure adopters are able to financially support dogs prior to adoption. The deposit needs to be made to the trust account prior to the dog going on trial.
If you are interested in applying to adopt Jazz once he becomes available please go to the below link, scroll down and fill out the form. We do not consider queries via Facebook or email without the form. See also the FAQ for more information and to answer any queries you may have. Full terms and conditions can be found under the "adoptions" page or FAQ