Arrived in NZCR care: 14 March 2020
DOB: 11/02/2011 (9 years)
Breed: Chihuahua (Smooth Coat)
Registered with NZCAR: Yes
DogsNZ (NZKC): No.
Council Registered: Yes - Christchurch City Council (2019/2020 membership).
Cat Friendly: Yes
Child Friendly: TBC
Human Sociable: Yes
Dog Sociable: Yes.
* TBC = "To be confirmed"
Meg, Pepe and Hollie were surrendered at different times after their owner suffered a bereavement. Since the death in her family she will be moving homes and down-sizing, so she has chosen to re-home some of her animals. Meg, Pepe and Hollie are all very different personality-wise so they will NOT be adopted together. They are doing fine separated at different foster homes.
Meg's former owner is a cat-breeder so she has grown up around cats/kittens, other Chihuahuas and a Whippet.
Like many dogs, when initially approached by a stranger Meg can be unsure and a little wary. However, she is not nasty, simply shakes a little bit and might keep her tail down. Once comfortable around you she is a sweet and loving little dog who loves all the attention from humans that she can get! Meg is smoochy and cuddly and will happily follow you around the house.
Meg is great on a lead, toilet trained and travels well in the car - no issues.
Meg has had exposure to children and is fine with them, we wouldn't home a Chihuahua to a family with young children, however. Children need to be old enough to respect a dogs' boundaries and understand not to overwhelm them.
Meg is prone to getting separation anxiety and would not suit an owner who is a full time worker or out of the home a lot. She has a tendency to bark and/or howl, if left alone too long. She needs to be with an adopter who can take her to work, works from home or is retired.
Meg doesn't love loud noises and isn't a fan of some female dogs as she can tend to boss them about. For this reason, her former owner believes she should be homed with one other male chihuahua or on her own. Meg can tend to be possessive of her owner - this will be worked on in foster care.
Meg has been flea and worm treated.
We are advised that Meg a dental almost 12 months ago and requires de-sexing.
Meg will be checked for a micro-chip and registered with the NZCAR. Meg will also be desexed and vaccinated up to date.
Meg is yet to have her preliminary check with our Vet. Any issues found will be corrected and/or disclosed here.
Meg needs to have her preliminary vet check and will be vaccinated up to date and de-sexed.
We are accepting early applications at present as we would like to be able to place Meg on trial once she has recovered.
- Meg is located in Christchurch but could be homed nationwide, provided the adopter was willing to adhere to our out of town adoption policy. For information on this, please see our "out of town adoption policy" noted under the "adoption" tab above. This is the process each adopter must undergo if they wish to adopt from NZCR. Sorry, no exceptions.
- To be homed as an only dog; OR perhaps with one other MALE Chihuahua. Meg is ok around other dogs. But she has no interest in socializing or playing with others. Meg tends to prefer males over females also. Please only consider Meg if you are happy having her as the only dog or have 1 other male Chihuahua.
- Any prospective Adopter must have a fully fenced backyard with no holes or gaps (pictures to be provided with application form).
- No full time workers. Part-time, retired or working from home would be ideal. Meg gets separation anxiety so she would not be comfortable left alone during the day if with a full time worker.
- Children must be over 5years and dog-knowledgeable. Children need to know how to approach a dog and not to overwhelm them.
* Further adopter requirements may be added in due course.
NOTE: Before applying for our dogs, please do read the above adopter requirements and ensure that you meet these. We are very clear about the homes we are seeking. We set the adopter requirements after consultation with the foster carers and consideration of the dogs, needs, welfare and personality. They are strict requirements - no exceptions. Please do not submit an application if you do not meet the above, we will simply respond to confirm the application is declined. Unfortunately, at times this has been the case and we have had to disappoint prospective adopters. This is why we are clear about our requirements prior and note them above.
Adoption Fee: $500.00 Fee determined by taking into account age, health and funds expended to date. Please note: sorry we do not accept payment plans, as we need to be sure adopters are able to financially support dogs prior to adoption. The deposit needs to be made to the trust account prior to the dog going on trial. The full100% of all adoption fees go towards the dogs in the care of the Trust.
If you are interested in applying to adopt Meg once she becomes available please go to the below link, scroll down and fill out the form. We do not consider queries via Facebook or email without the form. See also the FAQ for more information and to answer any queries you may have. Full terms and conditions can be found under the "adoptions" page or FAQ.