Arrived in NZCR care: 31st March 2021
DOB: Unknown - estimated to be 9-10 years of age.
Breed: Chihuahua - Smooth Coat
Registered with NZCAR: Yes.
DogsNZ (NZKC): No.
Council Registered: Yes - Christchurch City Council.
Cat Friendly: TBC.
Child Friendly: 8 years and older.
Human Sociable: Yes.
Dog Sociable: Yes.
* TBC = "To be confirmed"
Missy originally came from a breeder up North where she was crated for most of her life initially. When she was approximately 16mths old, she then became the beloved pet of her former owner who spent a lot of time working with her and making her more confident. Missy is estimated to be 9-10.5 years old. Unfortunately, her former owner has had to enter care and can no longer keep Missy. It was a very difficult decision for them to part with Missy and we are very honored to be asked to assist with finding a new home that will love her as much as her old home did. If the new owners were able and willing to provide updates to the old owners, this would be much appreciated.
Missy's former owner describes her as "friendly and affectionate", she is said to be great with people that she knows.
Missy is very clever, she knows to stop and wait at the end of a road before continuing to walk. Missy enjoys adventures, she walks well on a lead and is great traveling in the car.
Missy came to her former owner very timid and unsure, she was more un-trusting of humans. With a bit of time, love and patience she has overcome this but Adopters will need to take care not to overwhelm her when meeting.
Missy's former owner advises:
- She puts herself to bed around 6pm each evening. Happy to sleep in her own bed or with humans. She loves to burrow into blankets.
- She has a bunny toy that she loves which must stay with her.
- She loves to sit in the sun in the mornings, especially in Winter.
- She loves to go walking and sniffing or riding in the basket of a bike or mobility scooter.
- She doesn't like being cold, the wind or rain.
- She's very cuddly and loves being talked or sung to. She seems to understand peoples' moods.
- Missy knows commands and words such as: "stay", "wait", "come here", "toilet", "this way", "cuddles" and "dinner". If she's worried say "its OK " and cuddle her.
- She does not like clothes but will wear a coat when cold and out walking.
- Missy does not like loud noises or loud people.
- Missy is a gentle little soul but can be protective of her people and territory.
Missy had her preliminary vet check, was vaccinated and micro-chipped on 08/04/2021. The Vet advises that she urgently requires weight loss and thereafter will assess whether/not the large lipoma on her chest should and could be safely removed. Missy weighed in at 2.8kg on 08/04/21 and needs to be around 2.2kg (as she is a very tiny dog!).
The Vet also confirmed that Missy has a grade 2 - 3 heart murmur and will require medications for the duration of her life. Any Adopter considering Missy will therefore need to be able to meet the cost of these lifelong medications: Fortekor - $47.00* and Vetmedin - $82.00* *Prices are estimates only for a monthly prescription, taken from myvet.co.nz on 26/01/21.
Missy will be flea and worm treated every 3 months while in trust care, to be continued by the Adopter.
Missy had a dental procedure on dental on 25/03/21 and will be adopted out de-sexed, vaccinated up to date, micro-chipped (with the chip registered with the NZ Companion Animal Register and the local Council) as all of our dogs are.
Help us to Help Missy!
New Zealand Chihuahua Rescue is a New Zealand Registered Charity run completely by volunteers. Nobody is paid to participate in our Rescue and 100% of the profits go back into the dogs in our care and community dogs needing assistance. We receive no public funding or grants. Our entire income to assist these dogs is derived from kind donations, sponsorship and fundraising projects. We are always short of money and it impacts how many dogs we can assist as each dog that comes into care needs some form of medical and/or behavioural assistance!
If you could help by donating to Missy's cause, all donations, small or large, help us to help her! We will also need extra funding to be able to meet the costs of her medications each month.
Fortekor - $47.00* and
Vetmedin - $82.00*
*Prices are estimates only, taken from myvet.co.nz on 26/01/21.
Please also contact us for a receipt and you can receive 33.33% of your donation back from the IRD.
Donations can be made via:
The New Zealand Chihuahua Rescue Westpac Trust Account:
By credit or debit card to our GiveALittle:
Missy will spend some time settling into foster care and on her diet. Once she has reached her goal weight, we will have her reassessed by our Vet to determine whether or not the lipoma lump should be removed.
We will also get to know Missy during their time in foster care and update this profile accordingly, including the adopter requirements (below).
Please keep checking this profile for updates if interested in Missy. If you meet her adopter requirements, once she is available, please apply by forwarding the adoption application.
- Missy is ideally to be adopted in the Christchurch area. Ideally, she will remain with her current vet, Dr Tonkin of Tram Road Animal Care Services, located off Tram Road in Ohoka, so we can ensure that she has a knowledgeable vet, aware of her condition and medical needs. HOWEVER - We would consider out-of-town adopters, provided they were willing and able to continue the heart medications, provide their vet as a reference and travel to meet Missy and her foster carer (as noted in our out of town policy).
- You will need to be willing to meet the ongoing monthly costs for Missy of these lifelong medications: Fortekor - $47.00* and Vetmedin - $82.00* *Prices are estimates only, taken from myvet.co.nz on 26/01/21. Do review the above costs and ensure you can meet these before applying for Lily.
- Missy will need a quiet home to "retire" in, with no younger dogs present. Missy would be best as a solo dog, she prefers to have the attention to herself and isn't overly playful with other dogs.
- Missy needs a quiet household with older children (6 years plus), if any. They will need to be aware and doggy-knowledgeable.
- Must have a fully fenced back yard with no holes or gaps.
- Missy is used to daytime company and will require a family who can take her with them to work, who works part time, works from home (permanently), or is retired.
PLEASE NOTE: Before applying for our dogs, please do read the above adopter requirements and ensure that you meet these. We are very clear about the homes we are seeking. We set the adopter requirements after consultation with the foster carers and consideration of the dogs, needs, welfare and personality. They are strict requirements - no exceptions. Please do not submit an application if you do not meet the above, we will simply respond to confirm the application is declined. Unfortunately, at times this has been the case and we have had to disappoint prospective adopters. This is why we are clear about our requirements prior and note them above.
Adoption Fee: $350.00
PLEASE NOTE - RE: THE ADOPTION FEES AND TRIALS: Our adoption fees are determined by taking into account age of the dog, overall health and funds expended to date on that particular dog. The trust uses these adoption fee funds on: de-sexing surgery, micro-chip and NZCAR registration, vaccines, Council registration, flea and worm treatments, plus any other essentials dogs require such as specialist medications or food, blood-testing, orthopaedic surgeries etc. and any other dog disposables required for dogs in care. Please note: sorry we do not accept payment plans, as we need to be sure adopters are able to financially support dogs prior to adoption - sorry, no exceptions. Please note: the deposit needs to be made to the trust account prior to the changeover date of the dog going on trial. We do not accept cash payments on the date. The full100% of all adoption fees go towards the dogs in the care of the Trust.