Arrived in NZCR care: 13 August 2020.
DOB: 9 years old (DOB: 15/02/2011)
Breed: Chihuahua - Smooth Coat
Registered with NZCAR: Yes
DogsNZ (NZKC): Yes, pedigree (papered) dog.
Council Registered: Yes - Christchurch City Council (2020/2021 membership).
Cat Friendly: Cat Trainable.
Child Friendly: 8 years and older.
Human Sociable: Yes
Dog Sociable: Yes
* TBC = "To be confirmed"
Nismo originally comes from a breeder in the North Island. He is a private surrender from the South Island due to a change in his owners' circumstances. Nismo was surrendered alongside his biological cousin, Dexter. We trialed Dexter and Nismo separate in early September and both boys were calmer and happier on their own. For this reason, we are seeking two separate adopters for the boys.
Nismo's owners state that he is a “beautiful, kind dog”, who loves pats and affection. Nismo is very friendly and people-confident. He is happy to meet new people. Nismo could be described as a very "happy go lucky" little dog who is full of energy. Although he is 9 years old, he is active and loves to follow you around the house.
Nismo has met a Dachshund, a griffon and other Chihuahuas - he is fine with all of them. Nismo has also met cats. He is unsure of cats but would be able to be trained to be around them if the owner wanted to commit to this. He is curious about them and growly, but would be fine with a confident cat and an Adopter to keep an eye on this.
Nismo is toilet trained and sleeps in a little bed in his crate. He is fine in the car and enjoys walking. He is quiet - not too much of a barker.
Nismo is very easy going but will always need some form of doggy-company. Nismo is known to suffer from separation anxiety unless with a human or another dog. He will paw at the door if left alone.
Nismo is said to be not very fond on young children.
Nismo can sometimes "guard" things like his bed, crate, water bowl, toys or food. He can also become jealous if another dog gets attention - this needs to be kept an eye on.
* More details will be added once we get to know Nismo better.
Nismo has received his preliminary check with our vet, no significant health issues were noted.
Nismo has been vaccinated up to date and received a dental with the trust on 23/08/2020. He was flea and wormed on 15/08/2020 and will be flea and wormed every 3 months while in trust care.
Nismo is mirco-chipped. The chip is registered with the NZCAR and local Council.
Nismo is hard of hearing, not 100% deaf as he can pick up some noises but it does affect his recall ability. Nismo would benefit from an adopter able to train him with hand signals.
- To be adopted into a home with at least one other small breed dog. Nismo needs to have doggy company. He would do well with 1-2 other dogs in the home. They must have a similar, easy-going temperament as he has a tendency to be submissive and easily bullied. We will not adopt Nismo as a solo dog.
- Nismo is being fostered in Christchurch, a local home is preferred so the team can assist with his integration.
- Nismo suffers separation anxiety. He needs an owner who is very part time, retired yet active, or permanently working from home. He would not suit a full time worker.
- Full fencing is a must. Any adopter must have fully enclosed fencing with no holes or gaps, the boys are very curious when allowed the opportunity to wander. Due to his hearing, Nismo has no recall and if he is able to get out of the property he will run !
- Ideally no cats, although Nismo is "cat trainable" with effort on behalf of the Adopter. If you have a confident cat this may be an option..
- Children need to be over 10 years of age and knowledgeable about dogs. Sorry, no young families.
- It would be great if the Adopter could send periodic updates to the former owners and occasionally meet up with Dexter's adopters so the boys could have occasional contact.
* Nismo's adopter requirements may be amended at a later date.
NOTE: Before applying for our dogs, please do read the above adopter requirements and ensure that you meet these. We are very clear about the homes we are seeking. We set the adopter requirements after consultation with the foster carers and consideration of the dogs, needs, welfare and personality. They are strict requirements - no exceptions. Please do not submit an application if you do not meet the above, we will simply respond to confirm the application is declined. Unfortunately, at times this has been the case and we have had to disappoint prospective adopters. This is why we are clear about our requirements prior and note them above.
$300.00 as an adoption fee for Nismo to be donated to the Rescue + $30.00 to transfer his pedigree papers into your name = $330.00 total.
(Note: DogsNZ charge $30.00 disbursement fee per dog to transfer pedigree papers into your name - this fee does NOT go to the rescue, it is paid to DogsNZ direct. It is a requirement of adopting a pedigree dog that the papers go with the Owner. Please deposit the $330.00 into our trust account prior to the trial).
NOTE ON THE ADOPTION FEES AND TRIALS: Our adoption fees are determined by taking into account age of the dog, overall health and funds expended to date on that particular dog. The trust uses these adoption fee funds on: desexing surgery, micro-chip and NZCAR registration, vaccines, Council registration, flea and worm treatments, plus any other essentials dogs require such as specialist medications or food, blood-testing, orthopedic surgeries etc. and any other dog disposables required for dogs in care. Please note: sorry we do not accept payment plans, as we need to be sure adopters are able to financially support dogs prior to adoption - sorry, no exceptions. Please note: the deposit needs to be made to the trust account prior to the changeover date of the dog going on trial. We do not accept cash payments on the date. The full100% of all adoption fees go towards the dogs in the care of the Trust.
If you are interested in applying to adopt Nismo once he becomes available, please go to the below link, scroll down and fill out the form. We do not consider queries via Facebook or email without the form. See also the FAQ for more information and to answer any queries you may have. Full terms and conditions can be found under the "adoptions" page or FAQ.