Arrived in NZCR care: 19 August 2020.
DOB: 3 years old approx (DOB unknown)
Breed: Chihuahua - Long Coat
Registered with NZCAR: TBC
DogsNZ (NZKC): No
Council Registered: Yes - Christchurch City Council (2020/2021 membership).
Cat Friendly: Yes
Child Friendly: Yes - over 8 years of age.
Human Sociable: Yes
Dog Sociable: Yes
* TBC = "To be confirmed"
Pablo was surrendered due to a change in circumstances of his former owner following the covid-19 outbreak. Pablo's former owner felt he could not provide for him any longer as he moved houses and changed jobs and regretfully needed to re-home Pablo. Initially Pablo came from a Christchurch breeder, he was not in a very good condition but nursed back to health by his former owner.
Pablo is a quiet, sweet, friendly, little dog. He can be timid or aloof around strangers initially, but once comfortable is very friendly. Pablo is energetic and loves company.
Pablo is great around cats, dogs, children, and other Chihuahuas. He is fostered with other Chihuahuas, cats, chickens and fish at present. Pablo seems to prefer males as his former owner was a male, as was his breeder.
Pablo is clicker-trained and knows his basic commands such as "sit" "come" "heal" and "wait", including to "go to his matt" when company arrives. He chooses whether or not he wishes to abide by them.
Pablo can be timid and wary of strangers. He does not like being picked up especially. He prefers to be led on a lead. Pablo has been known to "freak out" including nip, if he is unsure or in a fearful state. He needs a patient, supportive, doggy-knowledgeable owner.
Pablo’s foster carer says; “Pablo is skittish and needs some work on confidence. He'll be happy sitting on my lap until I get up and walk out of the room, then when I come back he barks and growls at me. I can't work out if he's forgotten who I am, is offended I moved him off my lap, or excited to see, all his barks are the same.”
* More details will be added once we get to know Pablo better.
Pablo received his preliminary check with our vet on 23/08/2020. Pablo had recent blood tests on 25/08/2020 to confirm fitness to undergo anesthesia, he is fine and internally healthy. Pablo is also vaccinated up to date.
Pablo is underweight so we are working on him gaining condition at present. Pablo does have a limited diet as he is prone to stomach issues if not on a food he can tolerate. Pablo is fed Hills Prescription Diet - Digestive Care food. Any Adopter will need to be committed to continuing this diet at their cost ($64.80 for 12x 370g cans- according to "myvet.co.nz"l )
Pablo has a very slight (grade 1) heart murmur - his chest will be x-rayed to confirm the heart is healthy.
Pablo was de-sexed and had his dental completed on 17/09/2020.
Pablo will be flea and wormed every 3 months while in trust care.
Pablo is already micro-chipped and will be registered with the NZCAR register.
- Pablo is being fostered in Christchurch, a local home is required so the team can assist with his integration. Please do NOT apply from other areas of New Zealand. The Adopter will have the full support of the NZCR team.
- Pablo would do great with doggy company in the household - small or larger dogs would be fine.
- Pablo is used to spending a lot of time with his Owner - he needs an owner who is very part time, retired yet active, able to take him to work with them, or permanently working from home. He would not suit a full time worker.
- Full fencing is a must. Any adopter must have fully enclosed fencing with no holes or gaps. Pablo will try to escape if he can!
- Children need to be over 10 years of age and knowledgeable about dogs. Sorry, no young families.
- Must have doggy-knowledge. Rescue dog knowledge or animal behavioral knowledge would be an asset. Pablo can be fearful of strangers and new situations.
- Pablo is fed Hills Prescription Diet - Digestive Care food. Any Adopter will need to be committed to continuing this diet at their cost ($64.80 for 12x 370g cans - according to "myvet.co.nz")
* Pablo's adopter requirements may be amended at a later date.
NOTE: Before applying for our dogs, please do read the above adopter requirements and ensure that you meet these. We are very clear about the homes we are seeking. We set the adopter requirements after consultation with the foster carers and consideration of the dogs, needs, welfare and personality. They are strict requirements - no exceptions. Please do not submit an application if you do not meet the above, we will simply respond to confirm the application is declined. Unfortunately, at times this has been the case and we have had to disappoint prospective adopters. This is why we are clear about our requirements prior and note them above.
$500.00 NOTE ON THE ADOPTION FEES AND TRIALS: Our adoption fees are determined by taking into account age of the dog, overall health and funds expended to date on that particular dog. The trust uses these adoption fee funds on: desexing surgery, micro-chip and NZCAR registration, vaccines, Council registration, flea and worm treatments, plus any other essentials dogs require such as specialist medications or food, blood-testing, orthopedic surgeries etc. and any other dog disposables required for dogs in care. Please note: sorry we do not accept payment plans, as we need to be sure adopters are able to financially support dogs prior to adoption - sorry, no exceptions. Please note: the deposit needs to be made to the trust account prior to the changeover date of the dog going on trial. We do not accept cash payments on the date. The full 100% of all adoption fees go towards the dogs in the care of the Trust.
If you are interested in applying to adopt Pablo once he becomes available, please go to the below link, scroll down and fill out the form. We do not consider queries via Facebook or email without the form. See also the FAQ for more information and to answer any queries you may have. Full terms and conditions can be found under the "adoptions" page or FAQ.