Age: 5 years (approx. born May 2014)
Breed: Chihuahua x Bichon x Jack Russell
Registered with NZCAR: Yes
DogsNZ (NZKC): No.
Council Registered: Yes - Christchurch City Council (2019/2020 membership).
Cat Friendly: Yes, lives with a foster-cat.
Child Friendly: No - scared of children.
Human Sociable: Yes.
Dog Sociable: Yes - other Chihuahuas and other breeds.
Pippi was surrendered due to a change in the life circumstances of her former owner.
Pippi is a very sweet, loving and loyal little family member. Pippi is very obedient and eager to please, she is toilet-trained and enjoys car rides. Pippi is extremely clever and has a funny, quirky, little personality. She has one favorite toy a skunk, "squeak" that she likes to take around with her. Pippi greatly enjoys tossing it about and carrying it in her mouth. Pippi also likes to sleep in a bread-basket with a fluffy cushion on top - we are advised this has always been the case! Pippi also doesn't mind the crate and is a very quiet little dog who is easy to love, once she allows you to see her full personality.
Pippi needs someone who is very understanding and experienced with rescue dogs. She is a "slow burner", initially when you meet Pippi she can be unsure and standoffish. It is for this reason that she often doesn't succeed on meet and greets - she needs someone willing to put in the effort with her. Pippi is a bit shy and wary of strangers, so will need a supportive, patient and kind adopter willing to move at her pace. Pippi cannot be overwhelmed in the early stages or she will become entrusting. Once she meets the right Adopter, who is understanding and willing to support her through the transition, she will become a loving and loyal best friend to you for many years to come!
Pippi has been de-sexed prior to coming into trust care and underwent a dental with ten extractions on 7 May 2019. NZCR has also micro-chipped Pippi, and updated her vaccinations. Pippi has also been flea and worm treated. Pippi is now deemed medically fit and ready to adopt!
- Pippi needs an owner who is a part time worker, works from home, or is retired. Part of the reason she was surrendered is her owner felt she needed some daytime company.
- Pippi would not be suitable for families with young children - they scare her and she (like most dogs) is prone to nipping when uncomfortable.
- Fully fenced backyard, with no holes or gaps. Pippi is very small and could easily get under gates or through little holes.
- Pippi likes dogs and is super social so it would be great if her Adopter had another small dog(s) as Company and to assist in integrating her into the family.
- As noted above, Pippi is a true rescue and needs someone who is experienced in rescue dogs. Pippi is shy and wary of strangers, she will need a supportive, patient and kind adopter willing to move at her own pace!
- An adopter willing to provide updates from time to time to Pippi's former owner via email. Pippi was surrendered due to circumstances and her former owner would like to ensure she is happy and okay.
- To be adopted within the Canterbury or Marlborough regions so full support can be provided in terms of Pippi's transition.
Adoption Fee: $400.00 Fee determined by taking into account age, health and funds expended to date.
Please note: sorry we do not accept payment plans, as we need to be sure adopters are able to financially support dogs prior to adoption. The deposit needs to be made to the trust account prior to the dog going on trial.
If you are interested in applying to adopt Pippi once she becomes available please go to the below link, scroll down and fill out the form. We do not consider queries via Facebook or email without the form. See also the FAQ for more information and to answer any queries you may have. Full terms and conditions can be found under the "adoptions" page or FAQ.