Arrived in NZCR care: 2 November 2020
DOB: 2 years old (DOB: 02/05/2018)
Breed: Chihuahua - Long Coat
Registered with NZCAR: Yes
DogsNZ (NZKC): No
Council Registered: Yes - Christchurch City Council (2020/2021 membership).
Cat Friendly: No.
Child Friendly: 8 years and older.
Human Sociable: Yes.
Dog Sociable: Yes.
* TBC = "To be confirmed"
We have actually had little Pippin in our care prior, very briefly. Last year, his owner thought they would have to move to Australia for personal reasons and surrendered him. In the end, they were able to come back to New Zealand while he was still in care and Pippin was returned. Pippin was their much adored pet and had been fabulously looked after so we saw no issue with returning him to a home in which he was loved. But this time, sadly, due to health reasons, Pippin needs to be re-homed and we are very happy to assist him once more.
Pippin is a very energetic, happy go lucky, social little guy who will make a great companion to his new adoptive family. He is very snuggly, affectionate and cuddly and enjoys being around people. Pippin also loves to play with toys.
Pippin is great in the car and loves walks, he is also toilet trained.
Pippin is generally good with other small breed dogs (or Chihuahuas). He is usually polite and social when meeting other dogs and loves to play with them. However, he can be a little unsure about meeting larger breeds and meeting dogs while on the lead.
We have noticed that Pippin does not like to be approached when sleeping. If snuggled up on someone or asleep and approached he is prone to snapping. This should be communicated to any young children about.
* More information to be added at a later date - once we get to know Pippin better.
Pippin is de-sexed and micro-chipped, his chip is registered with the Council and NZCAR database.
Pippin has been vet checked and vaccinated up to date.
Pippin had a dental in June 2020.
Help us to Help Pippin!
New Zealand Chihuahua Rescue is a New Zealand Registered Charity run completely by volunteers. Nobody is paid to participate in our Rescue and 100% of the profits go back into the dogs in our care and community dogs needing assistance. We receive no public funding or grants. Our entire income to assist these dogs is derived from kind donations, sponsorship and fundraising projects. We are always short of money and it impacts how many dogs we can assist as each dog that comes into care needs some form of medical and/or behavioral assistance!
If you could help Pippin by donating to the cause, small or large, any amount helps! Please also contact us for a receipt and you can recieve 33.33% of your donation back from the IRD!
Donations can be made via:
The New Zealand Chihuahua Rescue Westpac Trust Account:
By credit or debit card to our GiveALittle: https://givealittle.co.nz/org/nz-chihuahua-rescue-trust
*** WE ARE NOT CURRENTLY TAKING APPLICATIONS FOR THIS DOG AS THEY ARE NOW ON TRIAL. Please see the "dogs in our care" page for available dogs.***
- Pippin is being fostered in Christchurch, and a local home is preferred. However, Pippin is able to be adopted outside of the Canterbury area if the Adopter is willing to adhere to our "out of town adoption procedure" - see the adoptions tab for this information. This will include traveling to meet Pippin and his foster carer. Sorry, no exceptions.
- Not to be re-homed with ANY cats, he growls and chases them. Please do not apply for Pippin if you have cats.
- Not to be re-homed with medium - larger breeds. Pippin would suit being an only dog or in the home with one other small/toy breed dog or Chihuahua. He does have a dominant personality however. Please do not apply for Pippin if you have large or medium breed dogs.
- Full fencing is a must. Any adopter must have fully enclosed fencing with no holes or gaps and they must be of a decent height.
- Pippin would suit being a family dog for children 8 years and older. We have noticed that Pippin does not like to be approached when sleeping. This should be communicated to any children about. Please do not apply if you have young children (under 8).
- Pippin is an active dog and will need an owner who is able to walk him at least once per day.
- No full time workers - please DON'T apply if you work full time hours. Part time workers, retired (yet active) or working from home (permanently) would be suitable. Pippin is used to someone home with him for much of the day.
* Pippin's adopter requirements may be amended at a later date.
NOTE: Before applying for our dogs, please do read the above adopter requirements and ensure that you meet these. We are very clear about the homes we are seeking. We set the adopter requirements after consultation with the foster carers and consideration of the dogs, needs, welfare and personality. They are strict requirements - no exceptions. Please do not submit an application if you do not meet the above, we will simply respond to confirm the application is declined. Unfortunately, at times this has been the case and we have had to disappoint prospective adopters. This is why we are clear about our requirements prior and note them above.
Adoption Fee: $500.00
NOTE ON THE ADOPTION FEES AND TRIALS: Our adoption fees are determined by taking into account age of the dog, overall health and funds expended to date on that particular dog. The trust uses these adoption fee funds on: desexing surgery, micro-chip and NZCAR registration, vaccines, Council registration, flea and worm treatments, plus any other essentials dogs require such as specialist medications or food, blood-testing, orthopedic surgeries etc. and any other dog disposables required for dogs in care. Please note: sorry we do not accept payment plans, as we need to be sure adopters are able to financially support dogs prior to adoption - sorry, no exceptions. Please note: the deposit needs to be made to the trust account prior to the changeover date of the dog going on trial. We do not accept cash payments on the date. The full100% of all adoption fees go towards the dogs in the care of the Trust.