Age: 7 (DOB: 6/03/2012)
Breed: Chihuahua - Long Coat
DogsNZ (NZKC): No.
Council Registered: Yes - CCC
Cat Friendly: Yes
Child Friendly: Not suitable for young families.
Human Sociable: Yes, with support.
Dog Sociable: Yes
Poppy is a very sweet and playful little dog, once she feels comfortable. Poppy loves being with her own person but is not overly comfortable around strangers and would need support when introduced to new people. She can be timid and wary around those she does not know. Poppy is more wary around males than females. Poppy is a low-energy dog, she would be happy going for a daily walk and just hanging around home with her Owner. Poppy's personality is still developing, she is slowly coming out of her shell and we will post more in due course.
Poppy came into our Rescue underweight, with over grown claws, fur falling out in clumps and a mouth of rotten teeth. Poppy's first surgery was on 06/03/2019 is to remove her rotten teeth and complete a full dental. Poppy underwent a heart assessment and full bloods prior. We have consulted the appropriate authorities in relation to her presenting condition. Poppy is healthy, with no known long-lasting issues. Following this, Poppy will need to be de-sexed, micro-chipped, vaccinated, flea and worm treatment.
- An adopter experienced in dealing with Rescue dogs is a must with Poppy. She can be overwhelmed easily and requires a careful, patient, supportive Owner. Poppy is a true Rescue and will always have her own "quirks" as a result.
- Poppy is not suitable for young children or a busy household.
- Poppy would probably prefer a female owner, she seems to prefer women.
- No full time workers. Part time or working from home would be fine. Poppy would not enjoy being taken to work and exposed to strangers, so unfortunately this is not an option.
- Poppy would do best with a Chihuahua companion. Another medium-low energy level dog that is not dominant or overwhelming to her would be great for her.
- Adopter must have a fully-fenced backyard with no holes or gaps.
Poppy comes with: Adopter pack containing a sample of her food, Pet N Sur insurance offer and other goodies.
As yet, Poppy is unavailable. If you would like to be considered to adopt Poppy, please go to the below link, scroll down and fill out the application form to email to us with pictures of your property.
PLEASE NOTE: We cannot say when Poppy will be fit for adoption as a result of the above. Please do not email us asking or for updates on Poppy. We appreciate your concern and support but unfortunately, we simply do not have the time to provide individual updates on each dog. We advise that you keep your eyes on our website and social media for the general updates we will post about Poppy. Once fit for adoption we will change her status accordingly.