Arrived in NZCR care: 23 July 2020.
DOB: Approx. 4-6 years of age (DOB unknown).
Breed: Chihuahua x Fox Terrier
Registered with NZCAR: Yes.
DogsNZ (NZKC): No.
Council Registered: Yes - Christchurch City Council (2020/2021 membership).
Cat Friendly: Unknown
Child Friendly: 8 years and above.
Human Sociable: Yes.
Dog Sociable: Yes.
* TBC = "To be confirmed"
Poppy comes all the way from New Plymouth to Christchurch. Poppy was listed for sale on Facebook as her owners were moving in one week. Our trustees inquired with the Owner and thankfully, she was surrendered into care with NZ Chihuahua Rescue. Poppy does require the basics before she is fit to adopt- de-sexing, micro-chipping, vaccines, flea and worming, nails clipped etc. We are happy to have the opportunity to assist her and that a kind Supporter reached out to us about her!
Poppy is a very sweet, friendly little dog who loves human companionship. Any adopter interested in her needs to prepare to have a little shadow! Poppy will follow her owner around the house, content to be in their presence. We will need an owner who is able to employ boundaries to ensure this doesn't become full-blown separation anxiety. Dogs need to be confident and happy enough to spend time on their own.
Poppy does bark at stimulus (ie. people walking past her house). She can be dominant of smaller dogs so best suited as an only dog or companion to a larger breed, more submissive type dog.
Poppy's foster describes her as "a sweet little dog, with confidence issues". We are working on this in foster care, and hope to be able to help her grow in confidence. Her Adopter will need to be willing to assist her in the same.
* More information to be added at a later date - once we get to know Poppy better.
Poppy received her preliminary check with our vet on 04/08/2020. Poppy is in great health, however her hips do feel a bit 'tight' and were x-rayed when she was anesthetized for her spay operation. No significant findings.
Poppy will be de-sexed, vaccinated up to date, micro-chipped with her details added to the NZCAR database and registered with the Christchurch City Council by the Trust prior to adoption. Poppy has been flea and wormed while in Trust care (we do so every 3 months).
Poppy's vet records show she was hit by a car in 2014. Luckily, she received minor wounds and has no lasting issues related to the crash. We will ensure fencing is in place at her new house!
- Poppy is being fostered in Christchurch, a local home is preferred. However, she may be a candidate to be rehomed outside of Canterbury if the adopter is willing to adhere to our "out of town" adoptions policy - Please see the adoptions tab on this website for details. This policy is not negotiable. If you reside outside of Canterbury, you need to be willing to adhere to the same.
- Secure fencing is a must. Poppy will need a fully enclosed property with fences of a decent height. No holes or gaps. We are advised that she once escaped from her former owners' property and was hit by a car.
- No full time workers please. Poppy would someone working from home, or active but retired. Poppy is like a little shadow and does suffer a bit of separation anxiety when left alone. She would not suit a home where she is left alone for large periods of time.
- Older children who are doggy-knowledgeable (8 years old+) and give her plenty of space would be fine.
- Poppy would do best as a solo dog in the home; or perhaps with another dog who is a large breed. She tries to dominate and control smaller dogs - not suitable to be rehomed with other small dogs.
- Would be fine as a companion for another dog or as a solo dog in the home.
* Further requirements may be added at a later date.
NOTE: Before applying for our dogs, please do read the above adopter requirements and ensure that you meet these. We are very clear about the homes we are seeking. We set the adopter requirements after consultation with the foster carers and consideration of the dogs, needs, welfare and personality. They are strict requirements - no exceptions. Please do not submit an application if you do not meet the above, we will simply respond to confirm the application is declined. Unfortunately, at times this has been the case and we have had to disappoint prospective adopters. This is why we are clear about our requirements prior and note them above.
NOTE ON THE ADOPTION FEES AND TRIALS: Our adoption fees are determined by taking into account age of the dog, overall health and funds expended to date on that particular dog. The trust uses these adoption fee funds on: desexing surgery, micro-chip and NZCAR registration, vaccines, Council registration, flea and worm treatments, plus any other essentials dogs require such as specialist medications or food, blood-testing, orthopedic surgeries etc. and any other dog disposables required for dogs in care. Please note: sorry we do not accept payment plans, as we need to be sure adopters are able to financially support dogs prior to adoption - sorry, no exceptions. Please note: the deposit needs to be made to the trust account prior to the changeover date of the dog going on trial. We do not accept cash payments on the date. The full100% of all adoption fees go towards the dogs in the care of the Trust.
If you are interested in applying to adopt Poppy, please go to the below link, scroll down and fill out the form. We do not consider queries via Facebook or email without the form. See also the FAQ for more information and to answer any queries you may have. Full terms and conditions can be found under the "adoptions" page or FAQ.