Arrived in NZCR care: 23 July 2020.
DOB: Approx. 4-6 years of age (DOB unknown).
Breed: Chihuahua x Fox Terrier
Registered with NZCAR: Yes.
DogsNZ (NZKC): No.
Council Registered: Yes - Christchurch City Council (2020/2021 membership).
Cat Friendly: No.
Child Friendly: 8 years and above.
Human Sociable: Yes.
Dog Sociable: Yes.
* TBC = "To be confirmed"
Poppy comes all the way from New Plymouth to Christchurch. Poppy was listed for sale on Facebook as her owners were moving in one week. Our trustees inquired with the Owner and thankfully, she was surrendered into care with NZ Chihuahua Rescue. We are happy to have the opportunity to assist her.
Poppy is a lovely little Chihuahua x Fox Terrier, thought to be between 4-6 years old.
Poppy is a very sweet, friendly, little dog who loves human companionship.... so prepare to have a little shadow around the house!
Poppy will follow her owner around the house, content to be in their presence and keep an eye on you. Poppy is energetic, she loves to play with her toys and do "zoomies" around the house. Poppy loves to go for a walk on her lead in the park or just snuggle up on the couch with you... Whatever you want to do is ok with Poppy!
Poppy is great in the car, she enjoys trips and adventures. Poppy has been toilet-trained while in foster care. Her adopter will need to continue with this routine to ensure she does not regress.
Poppy has been known to bark at stimulus (ie. people walking past her house, cats or dogs outside etc.) so this should be discouraged. Poppy is also a great little alarm system for people arriving to the home!
Poppy can be dominant of smaller dogs so best suited as an only dog in the household, or as a companion to a larger breed, who is a more submissive type of dog.
Poppy's foster describes her as "a sweet little dog, with confidence issues". We have been working with her while she has been in care to help her grow in confidence. Her Adopter will need to be willing to assist her in the same, we also have a trainer that could provide assistance if required.
* More information to be added at a later date - once we get to know Poppy better.
Poppy received her preliminary check with our vet on 04/08/2020. Poppy is in great health. The vet felt her hips were a bit 'tight' at the time and these were x-rayed when she was anesthetized for her spay operation. No significant findings. This could be related to prior injury - Poppy's vet records show she was hit by a car in 2014. Luckily, she received minor wounds and has no lasting issues related to the crash. We will ensure fencing is in place at her new house!
Poppy has been de-sexed, vaccinated up to date, micro-chipped with her details added to the NZCAR database and registered with the Christchurch City Council by the Trust. Poppy has been flea and wormed while in Trust care (we do so every 3 months).
Help Us Help Poppy!
Although we never rush our adoption process, it does take a bit of our financial resources having dogs in care for longer periods of time. New Zealand Chihuahua Rescue is a New Zealand Registered Charity run completely by volunteers.So 100% of the profits go back into the dogs in our care and community dogs needing assistance. We receive no public funding or grants. Our entire income to assist these dogs is derived from kind donations, sponsorship and fundraising projects. We are always short of money and it impacts how many dogs we can assist as each dog that comes into care needs some form of medical and/or behavioral assistance!
If you could help Poppy by donating to her costs and our cause, all donations, small or large, help! Please also contact us for a receipt and you can recieve 33.33% of your donation back from the IRD!
Donations can be made via:
The New Zealand Chihuahua Rescue Westpac Trust Account:
By credit or debit card to our GiveALittle:
- Poppy is being fostered in Christchurch, and will require a local home in Canterbury so our team can assist with her integration into her new home. Please do not apply from other areas of New Zealand, Poppy is not available for an out of town adoption. No exceptions.
- Secure fencing is a must. Poppy will need a fully enclosed property with fences of a decent height, with no holes or gaps.
- No full time workers please. Poppy would someone working from home (permanently), or active but retired. We aren't sure how well she would cope being taken to an office environment as she tens to bark when people arrive. She could not be placed in doggy daycare. Poppy a bit of separation anxiety when left alone too long, therefore she would not suit a home where she is left alone for large periods of time.
- Older children who are doggy-knowledgeable (6 years old+) only please.
- Poppy is not to be re-homed with cats, she barks and chases them.
- Poppy would do best as a solo dog in the home; or perhaps with another dog who is a large breed. She tries to dominate and control smaller dogs - Poppy is NOT suitable to be re-homed with other small dogs. Poppy would be fine as a solo dog in the home.
- Poppy would benefit from an owner experienced with dogs, rescue dogs in particular. Or someone willing to engage a trainer to advise if needed. This may be able to assist with some of he issues around separation anxiety and with other dogs.
* Further requirements may be added at a later date.
NOTE: Before applying for our dogs, please do read the above adopter requirements and ensure that you meet these. We are very clear about the homes we are seeking. We set the adopter requirements after consultation with the foster carers and consideration of the dogs, needs, welfare and personality. They are strict requirements - no exceptions. Please do not submit an application if you do not meet the above, we will simply respond to confirm the application is declined. Unfortunately, at times this has been the case and we have had to disappoint prospective adopters. This is why we are clear about our requirements prior and note them above.
NOTE ON THE ADOPTION FEES AND TRIALS: Our adoption fees are determined by taking into account age of the dog, overall health and funds expended to date on that particular dog. The trust uses these adoption fee funds on: desexing surgery, micro-chip and NZCAR registration, vaccines, Council registration, flea and worm treatments, plus any other essentials dogs require such as specialist medications or food, blood-testing, orthopedic surgeries etc. and any other dog disposables required for dogs in care. Please note: sorry we do not accept payment plans, as we need to be sure adopters are able to financially support dogs prior to adoption - sorry, no exceptions. Please note: the deposit needs to be made to the trust account prior to the changeover date of the dog going on trial. We do not accept cash payments on the date. The full100% of all adoption fees go towards the dogs in the care of the Trust.
If you are interested in applying to adopt Poppy, please go to the below link, scroll down and fill out the form. We do not consider queries via Facebook or email without the form. See also the FAQ for more information and to answer any queries you may have. Full terms and conditions can be found under the "adoptions" page or FAQ.