Age: 6 years old.
Breed: Chihuahua (Long Coat)
Registered with NZCAR: Yes
DogsNZ (NZKC): No.
Council Registered: Yes - Christchurch City Council (2019/2020 membership).
Cat Friendly: Lives with a foster cat.
Child Friendly: Unknown.
Human Sociable: Yes.
Dog Sociable: Yes - Chihuahuas and Small Breeds.
We are advised that Tess had a rough start to life and little - no socialization. Tess was caged for her first ten months of life. As a result, she can be wary of new people and anxious about new places. Upon meeting Tess she was quite and a little afraid but not nippy or nasty. She is quiet and reserved at present having only come into Trust care recently. We are aware she has had at least 1 litter prior.
Tess has only been in foster for a couple of week now, but our foster carer advises she is quiet, pleasant and quite cuddly. Tess likes belly rubs and pats and is fine around other Chihuahuas, although she can be a bit bossy and push them out of the way to be petted.
Tess can be a little wary of strangers initially, she does not bite, but can be withdrawn and overwhelmed. Tess will need a patient owner who is understanding of her personality. We feel that Tess would make a great companion to someone looking for a special wee friend.
Prior to being adopted, Tess will have her vaccines brought up to date. We are waiting for her to heal after the dental before this will be completed.
Tess has been flea and wormed, micro-chipped (and NZCAR registered). We also had to place Tess on a course of antibiotics due to a nasty infection in her gums caused by rotten teeth. On 7 July 2019, Tess underwent a dental where the rotten teeth were removed and the remaining teeth scaled and polished.
- Tess is to be rehomed in Canterbury or Marlborough. Tess may need the support of her foster carer who resides in these areas. In time, if a suitable home cannot be found we may consider applicants from other areas in the country.
- Fenced in yard with no holes or gaps.
- A kind, understanding and patient owner is required. One who understands that Tess does not like to be overwhelmed and handled by strangers often.
- Tess was in a pen for the first 10 months of her life and this has disrupted her toilet-training somewhat. Her Adopter will need to be vigilant and ensure her routine is implemented (ie. taking her out to the toilet at regular intervals).
- For the above reason, Tess would best suit a part time worker, someone who works from home or is retired and able to reinforce her toileting schedule and spend lots of time building her confidence.
Adoption Fee: $500.00 Fee determined by taking into account age, health and funds expended to date.
Please note: sorry we do not accept payment plans, as we need to be sure adopters are able to financially support dogs prior to adoption. The deposit needs to be made to the trust account prior to the dog going on trial. 100% of all adoption fees go towards the dogs in the care of the Trust.
If you are interested in applying to adopt Tess once she becomes available please go to the below link, scroll down and fill out the form. We do not consider queries via Facebook or email without the form. See also the FAQ for more information and to answer any queries you may have. Full terms and conditions can be found under the "adoptions" page or FAQ.