Arrived in NZCR care: 05/05/2021
DOB: August 2017 (3 years)
Breed: Chihuahua x Unknown
Registered with NZCAR: Yes.
DogsNZ (NZKC): No - crossbreed.
Council Registered: Yes - Christchurch City Council.
Cat Friendly: No - absolutely cannot be homed with cats or small animals!
Child Friendly: 5 years and older.
Human Sociable: Yes.
Dog Sociable: Yes.
* TBC = "To be confirmed"
Vito is a private surrender to the Pound, he passed a temperament test while in their care. No further details available. We are always very happy to assist the Pound with any dogs they have come into their care.
Vito went on trial early July with a family we deemed suitable. However, it soon became apparent they were not looking after his needs and we subsequently welcomed Vito back into care. We have noticed he has regressed since this trial. So for now, we are settling Vito back into care and getting him back into a good routine - from there, he will become av
Vito is a happy-go-lucky, clever, active, social little guy, looking for an owner who can implement that careful balance of love and boundaries for him to thrive!
Vito is toilet-trained and great in the car. Vito also knows how to use a doggy-door and his basic commands.
Vito is a very vibrant, energetic little dog who will need an active home. He would do great with learning obedience or agility!
Vito has a high prey drive so cannot be homed with cats or other small animals. Vito will chase and hurt them, so please understand: for this reason he absolutely 100% cannot be homed with cats or small animals, no matter how confident they may be. Please do not inquire to adopt Vito if you have any.
Vito needs an owner who is doggy knowledgeable and able to ensure he is under effective control at all times. This means, no off-leash walks for Vito, due to his high prey drive, he would just take off!
Vito is great with other small dogs and would do best in a home with one other small dog as he can get a touch of separation anxiety if left 100% alone. Vito previously lived with a medium breed. However, we have noticed he has "small man syndrome" and can be more dominant and barky etc. with a bigger breed dog. He has lived with smaller, female, chihuahuas in care and been excellent with them. He is very loving to his foster siblings.
Further Information on Vito:
Vito loves people. We are advised that he has been raised with older kids and is great with them. He is a very social little guy and even attended our Animal Expo stall having pats from children and strangers alike.
However, in May 2021 there was an incident whereby Vito and his foster sister were walking with our foster carer late one night. A passerby startled the dogs who began to bark. Vito is very protective of anyone he perceives as "his family" when he is out walking. We are not sure whether this person went to touch the dogs or not, but Vito nipped her on the leg. As a result, we are very careful when walking him or when strangers come to the home.
Vito is a clever dog, but he is a rescue dog and as such, he needs an owner who understands dogs for this reason and who will not take risks when it comes to Vito and his possessiveness /fear. As with all dogs, being startled or "excited" can cause them to nip. This will be discussed further with any prospective adopter.
To ensure he is safe while out walking, Vito will come with a couple of extras that our other dogs do not. This includes the following items, which are included in his adoption fee:
- His size in "Halti" harness for walks (valued at $37.92)
- A black leash (do not use retractable leads as they are less effective with regards to control)
- A red baby 2 sized JuliusK9 IDC Power harness (valued at $49.95)
- Two custom glow in the dark JuliusK9 tags "VITO" and "ASK TO PAT ME!"" (valued at $29.90)
= $117.77 in value.
Vito was vet checked on 10/05/2021 and passed with flying colors!
Vito is a Chihuahua x which is obvious due to his size. We do not know what he was crossed with, perhaps terrier or pug. He is around 6kg.
Vito will be flea and worm treated every 3 months while in trust care, to be continued by the Adopter.
Vito will be adopted out de-sexed, vaccinated up to date, micro-chipped (with the chip registered with the NZ Companion Animal Register and the local Council) as all of our dogs are.
Help us to Help Vito!
New Zealand Chihuahua Rescue is a New Zealand Registered Charity run completely by volunteers. Nobody is paid to participate in our Rescue and 100% of the profits go back into the dogs in our care and community dogs needing assistance. We receive no public funding or grants. Our entire income to assist these dogs is derived from kind donations, sponsorship and fundraising projects. We are always short of money and it impacts how many dogs we can assist as each dog that comes into care needs some form of medical and/or behavioral assistance!
If you could help by donating to Vito's cause, all donations, small or large, help us to help her! Please also contact us for a receipt and you can receive 33.33% of your donation back from the IRD.
Donations can be made via:
The New Zealand Chihuahua Rescue Westpac Trust Account:
By credit or debit card to our GiveALittle:
- Vito is available for adoption preferably in the Canterbury area. However, we may consider Applicants with suitable rescue dog knowledge from outside the area. But you must a) have had rescue dogs before and be knowledgeable in doggy behavior and b) Adopter will need to visit our adoptions page, view the out of town adoptions process and be willing to adhere to this. This includes traveling to Christchurch to meet Vito and his foster carer. No exceptions so please do not ask for any.
- Vito needs to be homed with a doggy-experienced owner who is able to implement boundaries. Must be willing to ensure that he is under effective lead control at ALL times on his walks and not able to chase any cats.
- Vito is an active dog, he needs an owner who would be able to walk him at least once per day.
- Vito cannot be homed with cats or small animals. Please do not apply if you have cats or small animals - no matter how confident they are! We will not be accepting a home with cats for him. Please do not ask or query this as we have been very clear.
- Must have a fully-fenced property, with no holes or gaps. It must be secure!
- Vito has lived with children prior. But any children in the home must be 6-years or older. Please do not apply if you have children in the home under 6 years of age.
- Vito would suit a home with another dog (small to medium breed) of a similar (playful) energy, or fine as a solo dog (with human companionship).
- No full time workers who are out of the home for large periods of time each day. We would only consider, very part time workers, those working from home permanently, or someone recently retired yet active. We don't adopt out companion dogs to full time (out of home) workers.
- To ensure he is safe while walking, Vito will come with a couple of extras that our other dogs do not. Such as: His size in "Halti" harness for walks (valued at $37.92); A red baby 2 sized JuliusK9 IDC Power harness (valued at $49.95); Two custom glow in the dark JuliusK9 tags "VITO" and "ASK TO PAT ME!"" (valued at $29.90) = $117.77 in value. His adopter will not be charged for these items - they are included in his adoption fee.
PLEASE NOTE: Before applying for our dogs, please do read the above adopter requirements and ensure that you meet these. We are very clear about the homes we are seeking. We set the adopter requirements after consultation with the foster carers and consideration of the dogs, needs, welfare and personality. They are strict requirements - no exceptions. Please do not submit an application if you do not meet the above, we will simply respond to confirm the application is declined. Unfortunately, at times this has been the case and we have had to disappoint prospective adopters. This is why we are clear about our requirements prior and note them above.
Adoption Fee: $400.00 to be paid to the NZCR trust account no. 03-0823-0074502-000
PLEASE NOTE - RE: THE ADOPTION FEES AND TRIALS: Our adoption fees are determined by taking into account age of the dog, overall health and funds expended to date on that particular dog. The trust uses these adoption fee funds on: de-sexing surgery, micro-chip and NZCAR registration, vaccines, Council registration, flea and worm treatments, plus any other essentials dogs require such as specialist medications or food, blood-testing, orthopaedic surgeries etc. and any other dog disposables required for dogs in care. Please note: sorry we do not accept payment plans, as we need to be sure adopters are able to financially support dogs prior to adoption - sorry, no exceptions. Please note: the deposit needs to be made to the trust account prior to the changeover date of the dog going on trial. We do not accept cash payments on the date. The full100% of all adoption fees go towards the dogs in the care of the Trust.