Arrived in NZCR care: 26/01/2021
Breed: Chihuahua x Papillion
Registered with NZCAR: Yes.
DogsNZ (NZKC): No
Council Registered: Yes - Christchurch City Council (2020/2021 membership).
Cat Friendly: No.
Child Friendly: 10 years and older.
Human Sociable: With support, wary with strangers, needs time to adjust.
Dog Sociable: See below.
* TBC = "To be confirmed"
Zeppelin has been the much-loved pet of his family, however there have been many changes to their lifestyle and they wish to rehome Zeppelin.
Zeppelin's former owner describes him as "a very loyal, smart dog, who is very protective of his owner".
Zeppelin's owner states that he is not good with cats. Although he is good with other chihuahuas and dogs, unknown whether he could be around small animals.
Zeppelin is toilet trained, he is a very clever little dog.
Zeppelin is wary of new people and needs a patient owner who is supportive and able to quietly integrate him into their home. He needs an adopter with sound dog knowledge and experience. Zeppelin can become nippy if he is overwhelmed. The key to making him comfortable is leaving him be, to come to you in his own time and being patient.
Zeppelin can suffer from a bit of separation anxiety. He likes to be near his person. He will quite happily lie in the sun minding his own business, provided someone is home and around.
Zeppelin has had his health check with our vet and was vaccinated up to date on 28/01/2021. He will come with his new vet book confirming the same.
Zeppelin is already de-sexed and micro-chipped, he is registered with the Council and NZCAR. Zeppelin has been flea and wormed every three months while in trust care.
Zeppelin will need some continued support around weight-loss. He came into care obese and has been steadily losing weight.
Zeppelin will also be a breed that requires regular grooming - costs will be associated with doing so of course, from the Groomers. This is the case with all long coat toy breeds.
Help us to Help Zeppelin!
New Zealand Chihuahua Rescue is a New Zealand Registered Charity run completely by volunteers. Nobody is paid to participate in our Rescue and 100% of the profits go back into the dogs in our care and community dogs needing assistance. We receive no public funding or grants. Our entire income to assist these dogs is derived from kind donations, sponsorship and fundraising projects. We are always short of money and it impacts how many dogs we can assist as each dog that comes into care needs some form of medical and/or behavioral assistance!
If you could help by donating to Zeppelin's cause, all donations, small or large, help us to help him! Please also contact us for a receipt and you can recieve 33.33% of your donation back from the IRD.
Donations can be made via:
The New Zealand Chihuahua Rescue Westpac Trust Account:
By credit or debit card to our GiveALittle:
- Zeppelin is strictly for adoption within the Canterbury area as he will require the support of our team to integrate into his new home. Please do not apply from other parts of New Zealand.
- Zeppelin needs an owner who is experienced in the care of rescue dogs and committed to training. You must have sound dog knowledge and experience. We also recommend the assistance of our trainer to help with integrating Zeppelin into a new home.
- Zeppelin cannot be confronted with too much too soon. He needs to be ignored and allowed to come to you in his own time. He needs an adopter able to do things in his time and give plenty of space.
- No full time (out of home) workers. Zeppelin requires an Adopter who is (very) part time, retired yet active or working from home (permanently). He is prone to separation anxiety and prefers daytime company.
- Zeppelin would benefit from another dog in the home as this helps with his separation anxiety when his owner is out. This dog will need to be of a similar energy and not too dominant.
- Must have a fully fenced back yard with no holes or gaps.
- Zeppelin cannot be re-homed with cats. Please do not apply for Zeppelin if you have cats.
NOTE: Before applying for our dogs, please do read the above adopter requirements and ensure that you meet these. We are very clear about the homes we are seeking. We set the adopter requirements after consultation with the foster carers and consideration of the dogs, needs, welfare and personality. They are strict requirements - no exceptions. Please do not submit an application if you do not meet the above, we will simply respond to confirm the application is declined. Unfortunately, at times this has been the case and we have had to disappoint prospective adopters. This is why we are clear about our requirements prior and note them above.
Adoption Fee: $500
NOTE ON THE ADOPTION FEES AND TRIALS: Our adoption fees are determined by taking into account age of the dog, overall health and funds expended to date on that particular dog. The trust uses these adoption fee funds on: desexing surgery, micro-chip and NZCAR registration, vaccines, Council registration, flea and worm treatments, plus any other essentials dogs require such as specialist medications or food, blood-testing, orthopedic surgeries etc. and any other dog disposables required for dogs in care. Please note: sorry we do not accept payment plans, as we need to be sure adopters are able to financially support dogs prior to adoption - sorry, no exceptions. Please note: the deposit needs to be made to the trust account prior to the changeover date of the dog going on trial. We do not accept cash payments on the date. The full100% of all adoption fees go towards the dogs in the care of the Trust.