Thank you for your interest in fostering for us!
Foster carers save lives and are the absolute backbone of our organization. Without reliable foster carers we cannot take in any dogs, as we do not have a physical centre. We have to turn away dogs needing our help if we can't place them, as there are limited foster carer spots!
We are very grateful to each and every one of our foster carers for allowing these dogs into their hearts and homes. Our foster carers are a very valued part of the NZ Chihuahua Rescue family!
How Do I Become a Foster Carer for NZCR?
Interested? Great! It's easy to apply, simply:
1. Download and fill out the application form (at the bottom of this page) and forward the signed application to our email.
2. We also ask that you provide landlord consent (if renting) and clear photos of the backyard, fencing, boundaries, entries and exits so that we know the home will be safely fence in for foster dogs.
3. Once we have received the completed application and attachments from you, we will then make contact with you to discuss the next steps. If approved, you will be added to our database of foster carers and closed Facebook Group. We advertise dogs requiring care on the group or general page from time to time.
4. Please take care to review the foster application form and the foster manual (found at the bottom of this page) These documents provide an overview of your obligations as a foster carer.
Although it can be hard work at times, you will receive the full support of the NZCR team and it is a very rewarding experience.
I Have Questions About Fostering!
Please review our "Foster FAQ" at the below link. If your query is not noted there, please feel free to email us!
* It is ideal if you have your own transportation to and from our vet, physio and any other required appointments for your foster dog in Christchurch or Canterbury, however, we can assist in this regard if you meet the other requirements.
* Your dogs should be up to date with vaccines and flea and worming treatments. You should also have the appropriate Council licensing. As we receive many un-spayed and entire dogs, we also ask that your personal pet dogs are de-sexed to ensure no unplanned litters or unwanted behaviors.
NOTE: The PDF applications need to be downloaded to a computer and emailed or printed and posted with the required attachments.
We have an awesome new online store full of small doggy products - plush beds, enrichment and interactive toys, collar charms, small soft toys, treats, puppy toys, dog brushes and lots of other items!
Best of all - your purchase helps our rescue dogs! All proceeds of the store, go back to helping the rescue.
Click below to visit!